Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Everyone needs a GG

After the afternoon we just had, I just felt the need to give a shout out to my mother-in-law, GG. (GG's real name is not being disclosed due to privacy reasons) I've (well, actually, most of our friends with kids) determined that everyone needs a GG. In case you were wondering, GG gets her name due to the fact that she is also a great grandmother. I've often told her that she is my FAVORITE mother-in-law, which she appreciates even though she is the ONLY mother-in-law I've ever had. Luckily for me, I get the love right back.

Gotta admit...I am spoiled. This isn't your typical son-in-law/mother-in-law relationship. She is like a mother to me. She cooks for us. A lot. She babysits the kids. A lot. She knows football. FSU football, in particular. She subscribes to Sports Illustrated. Oh, and did I mention she's in her 70's? Even though she has her own place, she still comes over to our house quite a bit. Honestly, I don't know what we'd do without her. She's been a constant part of our daughters' lives since their births. DQ1 and DQ2 (that's Drama Queens 1 and 2, for short) adore their GG. If she came to us tomorrow and wanted to sell the condo and move in with us, I wouldn't hesitate to welcome her as a permanent resident in the justbeingfrank household.

Don't get me wrong, though. She has her faults. Like, the "what happens at GG's stays at GG's" arrangement we deal with when the girls spend the night at her place. Also, she has no problem giving them ice cream after dinner, and then jetting off to her condo, leaving us with sugar laden, hyperactive children at bedtime. I guess that comes with the territory, though. Grandparents earned that right after putting up with us for 18 years. In case you were wondering, this isn't a one way street. I wouldn't feel right about that. For example, just last week, I was at the airport at 2 AM (THANKS, UNITED!) to pick her up on her way back from a trip. I, too, love spoiling her whenever I can.

I know this won't last forever. I know eventually the role of caretaker will be passed on to my wife and I, and we will gladly return the favor. Until then, we will let GG do what she loves to do the most - take care of the ones she loves. She wouldn't have it any other way.

GG, if you find time to read this, I hope you know how much I love you and what you mean to me. You have been the role model for how I'll take care of my kids-in-law one day. Don't ever change.

Love,

Your Favorite Son-in-Law

No comments:

Post a Comment