Monday, April 7, 2014

Dear FSU: A Lesson in Economics

There's nothing like cleaning bathrooms to put one in the right frame of mind to write about something that's bothering you.

For me, that something is the FSU logo. I know it's been discussed ad nauseam, but it still burns me. I wrote a letter (well, email) to the FSU Athletic Department this afternoon with my thoughts about how this whole logo change process went down.

After I sent the email (text below), I started cleaning the bathrooms. I want that logo flushed down the toilet, and that thought reminded me I had chores to do. So.....the natural progression led to using toilet bowl cleaner and wiping down sinks. As I was doing all these things, I continued to ponder the obvious $10 million dollar question: WHY did the FSU Athletic Department DO this? I get the lame excuse about how it's difficult for the vendors to embroider the logo, but the last time I checked, didn't consumer demand dictate what producers of goods put on the shelves?

By the looks of the rapid and frustrated response by the FSU fan base, I'd say there was very little demand by the consumer for a change, let alone the abomination that was created by Nike and the rest of the creative team assigned to the project. I never took Economics in college, but I do know that demand drives supply. It seems FSU and apparently Nike forgot there are two sides to that equation. I can't think of any fellow fans that demanded a change to the logo. FSU just decided to make the change, knowing it was riding the wave of positive energy created by a National Title and a Heisman Trophy.

What it failed to realize is that the FSU fan base is very proud of TRADITION. And our logo is part of that tradition. Even if a change was inevitable in today's branding business, a change to an iconic symbol of our University should have had our input and approval. It's very disappointing that FSU ignored its consumers, fan base, and alumni, and felt its business partners were more important.

To me, that's pretty crappy. Which reminds me I still have a toilet to clean.....

Please write to the FSU Athletic Department at fsuathletics@fsu.edu and let them know your thoughts. Below is the text from my email today:

To Whom it May Concern:

I've been associated with the University for 25 years, and have proudly worn the FSU logo as a symbol for my love of the University and its athletic programs. I've traveled to San Francisco and Dallas, Miami and Atlanta, Tampa and Orlando, among other cities, to support the 'Noles throughout the years....not to mention buying season tickets for football.

I'm not opposed to change, so I don't want this to be a criticism of the desire to make change to the logo. However, the way in which the change has occurred and lack of input from most of Seminole Nation (the fan base) paints a black eye to the entire process. The amount of negative publicity surrounding the logo change could have been avoided. It could have been avoided with input from the fan base. Choices. Voting. Anything would have been better than finding out because a vendor shipped t-shirts to a Walmart store.

Walmart is how we found out? The jokes sometimes write themselves.To make it worse, the logo is a caricature of the original. He has big hair. Perfect teeth. He looks like he's laughing hysterically at a joke we don't get. But now, we're going to be the joke. And, we, the fan base, are not happy about it.

I understand the relationship with Nike has been a good one. Truth be told, I've been happy with many of my Nike purchases over the years. But it is just plain wrong to allow a company whose only interest is profits control the creative process for a significant event in the proud history of FSU athletics. This change should have included those affected most, not those who stand to make the most profit.

There is still time to reverse course, although I'm not holding my breath this will happen. I know you are counting on the positive path we're currently on due to a national title, and the prospect of another one in 2014, for the ability to weather this storm of controversy. However, know this: I will NEVER purchase an item with the updated logo. I will find other merchandise to spend my hard earned dollars on when buying FSU items. And I know others will follow suit.

The only good to come out of this is now I can say that I own vintage FSU gear, but I am not happy about this fact.

Signed,

Frank Samu
Florida State University Class of 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment